MFA THESIS EXHIBITION 2017

Upcoming Exhibition

Apr 28 – May 20, 2017 | Works on Paper Gallery
Opening Reception Friday, April 28, 5 P.M. – 7 P.M.

The Gregory Allicar Museum of Art’s annual Master of Fine Arts Exhibition marks the culmination of a three-year degree program in the visual arts that fosters individual research and creative studio practice. Students in the program focus on a particular area of study and complete a mature body of work in their chosen field – art work is situated within the discourse of contemporary art practice. This year’s exhibition features work of Katie Gabriel and Tim Schwartz.

READ MORE about previous MFA Thesis Exhibitions

KATIE GABRIEL
My work explores connections between memory and identity as they exist through the reimagining of family photographs. I have become inexplicably drawn to instants captured in images that create a dialogue, sometimes by the assertion of the person photographed, but more often by creating a personal narrative in which I react to my learned history of a moment in their life. By depicting family members from photographs and altering the way in which the viewer reads them I burrow into the fluid nature of memory and its ability to distort our understanding of “truth.”

TIM SCHWARTZ I am fascinated by human expression. The intersections of ideas, words, design, art and music are where I create. Graphic design is a practice that bridges the gap between representation and communication, human and technology, information and art. Graphic design has a unique position in culture. Designers are informed by the past, act in and reflect the present, and can influence the future. My work is an exploration of the marriage between design and music with the objective to enhance the experience of both of them. The design choices I make seek to create space for an encounter that becomes more than pure communication.